Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Australia Photos

General thoughts on Australia:
1) It's much too much like the United States. Everyone speaks English, the food is roughly the same, and the distances are ENORMOUS.
2) Fruit picking is really a skill. You can't just rock up and expect to be good at it. You'll most likely suck at it, actually... and you won't get better until the contractors have already moved onto another fruit. You'll need at least one season of practice before you can start making any money at all... and that's assuming that they'll actually PAY you.
3) An American accent is actually kind of cool in the suburbs and lesser travelled areas. Never thought I'd live to see a place where my manner of speech was actually interesting to someone.

Australia was a nice stop on my trip. I got to refuel and get my bearings again. I got to make money again, and I got to see some of my old travel mates in their natural habitat. Anyway, I thought I'd just post some of my thoughts up top because in general, I didn't take very many pictures in this country, and most of the ones I DID take were on my drunken night out with Pops and Tom. Oz was a neat place to pause and regain appreciation for how lucky I am to be from a rich country, but I wasn't shocked and awed by much. It was as all rich countries are- clean, organized, and with far too many rules.

That being said, I'll start with this photo. One of the things that DID shock and awe me was the Sydney Opera House. I know it's cliche'd, but it's an incredible building. Absolutely stunning. When you look at it by itself, it looks as it does in the postcards, and you fail to grasp how.... ODD it is compared to the standard skyscrapers in the rest of town. It perches at the lip of the harbor, lit up and fucking humongous. I had to have taken about a hundred photos from every angle of the building. Really, really nice. Sydney, Australia.


So here's yet another picture of two of my favorite Israelis. Shiri and Shiran are going to probably occupy 30% or so of my ultimate travel photo album, just for the sheer TIME I've spent with them. Shiran and I first met in Honduras, then met up again in Guatemala, then carried on to El Salvador together. 3 months later, we brought the party to Israel, and about a year after that, Australia. We only hung for a day or so, but they gave me the travel budget 101 for Oz, and are a lot of the reason why I was able to save any money at all. Hats off to you two! Outside of Tribal Travel, Melbourne, Australia.


Speaking of people that contributed to my insanely strict budget- I really couldn't have done it without this one. Frase-book, I owe you! Here he is after I convinced him to cat-fish his moustache. He'd probably kill me if he knew I'd posted it online, but hey- it really deserved more than just 15 minutes in a darkened room in the back of his house. The catfish is in protest. It wanted to go out! Anyway, his kind brother, mother, father, dog, and silly cat made my initial landing and culture shock a lot easier. A million thanks, Frase! Sydney, Australia.



Strange how popular these are in Oz. "Pokies" is what people call them. In a country where free-pouring is illegal, all bar staff need to be RSA certified, and even the baristas need to take a day course before beginning work, the prevalence of these little machines is astonishing. I've never actually seen anybody on them though. Brisbane, Australia.

I'm not sure why I chose this picture above all the others, but I love Pops' expression. Hahaha! I can't remember what she was saying here, but I'm amused nonetheless. Thanks to Pops and Tom for the awesome time in Brisbane, and for all the CLOTHES that I got to continue on to South America with. Brisbane, Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment