Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ethiopia Photos

OK- getting to this point has taken forever. Ethiopian. Computers. SUCK!!!! I thought I had bad internet in Bolivia, but then I got to Guatemala and was corrected.... but when you're on the only computer in town with a guy standing behind you tilting a weird metal box so that the possibility of DIAL-up is within reach... you know you've hit bottom.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics I've been holding onto for a month and a half...


Here I am with some of my KGers. The great thing about spending my Wednesdays and Fridays at this school was that the students are happy to learn how to draw the letter G. Then they want to play with your hair and hit each other with sticks. It was much less stressful than the grade school, where you're actually expected to TEACH something.

This here on the left is Muhammed. See how cute he is?? How very cute! He was easily my favorite student (and he knew it too) but I'm pretty sure neither he nor I knew why. I think it's just that he was the cutest kid in all my classes... plus he thought it was funny when I rolled my "R"s. I like that.

This is me near the end of my time in Ethiopia. I went eastward to Harar, an ancient walled city and the first place Islam really took off in the country. The place was alright overall--- but the cool thing was that there were tons of hyenas everywhere. They were really cute, except when they launched into killing mode. Here is me forking over a sliver of decaying flesh--- note how I'm in my ready-to-jump-up-and-run position. I even put on my track pants for effect.

I'm only going to post one more since everything else can be found on my facebook. This is Helena, the first grade teacher, rocking out in a coffee ceremony for me at her house. The coffee in Ethiopia was REALLY good. If you know me, you know that normally, not only do I not drink coffee, but I want to punch it, and the little cups it comes in in the face. However, it was actually alright here. Not too bad, unless you had more than a cup. I also thought the smoke looked sweet in this photo...

I would post more except that I'm in India and can't bother. Maybe I'll update more in the future...

1 comment:

  1. Wow what an experience!! The hyena story is crazy and the kids are so super cute. -Sarah from Sac

    ReplyDelete