Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Peru Photos


Peru was the first developing country I ever backpacked through and I think, even after all this time, that it's the country that affects me the most. Whenever I'm feeling awash with that elusive "Oh-My-God-I'm-Traveling" sensation, it's usually because I've seen or smelled something that reminded me of Cuzco or Huaraz. While it's not my favorite country, and might not even be in my top 3, there's no country that evokes the same kind of elation and (for lack of a less cheesy term) splendor on such a consistent basis as this one.

The picture above is a photo of a crazy mountain dog that walked us all the way from the base of the Laguna Churrup hike to nearly the snow line. Scaling a waterfall with hands is one thing, scaling them on four legs is another. He was rewarded handsomely with canned tuna. Laguna Churrup, Ancash, Peru.

I had to take this shot discreetly in Huaraz while waiting for my language school to open up after lunchtime break. I'm not sure what it is that makes me like this photo so much. Is it strange to find an 80-year old indigenous lady "adorable"? Huaraz, Peru.

This is Nisan, one of the many Israelis that I found to be such good travel mates on this trip. Every now and again you find someone you can really take the piss out of, who isn't afraid to rip the piss out of you as well. Nisan was one of those people. This crazed one actually flew to the other side of the country for 3 days for the sake of "not missing out" on a shitty, littered beach. I'd have a lot more stories if I traveled a little more like this guy. At Laguna Churrup, Ancash, Peru.

My last stop in Peru. Máncora was an amazing place, but there were just way... WAY too many mosquitoes. My first night, I covered my cheeks and forehead with bug spray, then burritoed my body in a sheet. I awoke several times in the night thinking that I had just inhaled a giant booger or something. I got up in the morning with 32 bites on my face and feet, 16 of which were on the bridge of my nose alone. Those "boogers" were actually mosquitoes biting around the perimeter of my lips. Gross. This is why it's worth it to carry a mozzie net, no matter how much space they take. Máncora, Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment