Saturday, September 13, 2008

About Me

I'm not really sure what to say here. Everyone who's reading this blog already knows me- which is why you would even care enough to click on my awesomely HTMLed button up top (^look). But for those who've stumbled on this blog- or perhaps got the URL at some point before you forgot who I was...






My name's Sam. This is me drinking a putridly cheap beer at the Kirkwood Freeski Championships in 2006. I'm a 24 year old Californian who's going on my round-the-world trip from April 2009 to July 2010, roughly. I'm not exactly sure when I'm coming back (or even from where, contrary to my assumptions up top), as I've not bought my return ticket home yet. I'm doing this purposely in the gap between my undergrad and grad school, yearning desperately for one last taste of freedom before I drown in a mire of debt.




I've spent the last two years living in San Francisco with my awesome friends (a couple of which are featured here) who I'm going to miss very much.... while saving up for this trip. I reckon I'll see them when I come back, so I'm trying not to be too much of a wimp when I wave goodbye to them in a couple of hours.


I have a dog, a sister, and a set of crazy asian parents who love to remind me that people die traveling all the time-- usually after being kidnapped and stabbed repeatedly-- and that they'd have been fine, if only they listened to their parents more often. Regardless, they have all been very supportive, and understand that this is something I really need to do before my feet gave me any peace. This is particularly astonishing given the crew that they run with. I know they are something of an anomaly in a very conservative crowd, and for that I will be ever grateful.


Aside from my life in the Bay Area, I have a secret life in Tahoe, CA (Kirkwood, particularly). This is me with some of my Ohana, during the season of 07/08. Strap a board to these peoples' feet, and they can fight crime.
... or at least drink a lot of beer.
It's these people that inspire me the most, and although I only ever see the bottom halves of their faces, I'm going to think of them all the time and write a great many postcards.
I suppose that's all. I would post more pictures- particularly of my adorable dog-- but I don't think that quite fits here.
See you all in 2010!

1 comment:

  1. SAFE TRAVELS, I support ur fine ass all the way and will live vicariously through you till I get out of grad school and embark on my own travels. WHICH...will hopefully lead to our meet up in some far off land with a HUGE student debt waiting my return!!!!!!! Be Sam and follow your heart and no wrong can be done, but in case some harm is tried poke em in the eye or eyes!!!!!! LOVE YA LADY!!!!

    ReplyDelete