Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Myanmar Photos


My favorite country. It's a shame I'm trying to do this about half a year after I left. Hard to remember everything.

So this is a lotus stem being broken and stretched to create a fabric. It's much more precious than silk and Inle Lake, Burma, is the only place in the world that makes it. Not to be a fuddy-duddy (is that how you use that term?), but I'm not sure why. It wasn't very soft, and looked quite lumpy when woven into a fabric. Regardless, it was cool to see. Inle Lake, Burma.

Kalaw, and the trek I did there, was one of the best things I did in Burma, and in fact, my whole trip. This morning, Miki, myself, and our guides had a fun time dressing up. In this little Pa'O villge, they believe that they're decended from a dragon and an alchemist that met in the forest. In honor of that, the women dress up in a fuck ton of layers and decorate their heads in the dragon fashion. It's bloody hot.... but cool nonetheless. This was a fun morning. Pa'O village, Burma.

This is some temple or something in Bagan. I'm not sure what. Honestly, by the time I got here, I was very much over temples. Extreme templing in Cambodia left me absolutely exhausted. But aside from that, I think you should admire the shot. Beautiful, I'd say. Bagan, Burma.

There's a bit of a story with this photo. When I was in Pyin U Lwin, I stayed in a crummy little hotel on the main strip, with way too many mosquitos and a funny bathroom smell that permeated every corner. The only other people there for the first night was this young Burmese couple. I was hanging out on the balcony attempting to escape the smell when the young man (what am I saying, he was older than I am) came out and started chatting. We got on well until he told me (proudly) that he was an officer in the military... and started to ask me what I knew about the Burmese military. Since I didn't want to get deported, I decided to refrain from telling him about the atrocities I'd heard of, and about my vehement desire for Burmese liberation... and just say I didn't know anything. Later on, he took it upon himself to give me the cadet handbook to "educate" me. This is one of the articles. Apparently Buddha wants you to murder people... how did i miss that? Pyin U Lwin, Burma.

No comments:

Post a Comment